After lunch with Friends, I didn’t go back to work – I had made an appointment to go and donate blood. The blood donating camp was setup in our pantry. I had never given blood before, and so I was a little apprehensive. But I found it to be a very spiritual experience. Following the form filling and answering various questions, all I had to do was to lie quietly on a bed like chair while a very attentive nurse sensitively carried out the simple procedure. The nurse told me that very less percentage of the our population donate blood, and that the level of blood stocks in the country would only last for about one week. She also said that within a couple of hours my blood could be being used in transfusions on the hospital wards. I was completely at ease, and I felt happy to be doing just this very small thing (I only donated just under a pint of blood) so that I could help someone else in need. I regretted having never donated blood before. I remember a number of years ago, as a rather self-centered student at university, being asked to donate blood, and I refused. I am very sorry I did that. This small piece of work lifted my head to the gentle call to empathise with others, and to lend the helping hand of Friendship whenever possible. And I’d like to thank Friends for helping me see this and begin to put this into practice. My feelings turn to the spiritual life-blood, a well-spring that provides nourishment and refreshment whenever we need it. It is freely ministered to us all, whenever we turn inwardly to, and wait upon it. It is the free gift of Light, and by allowing the Light to guide, teach, and transform us, in Spirit, Love and Truth, we may be able to feel the gift of Peace that everyone deserves to experience. And this should be cherished and nurtured.

0 comments: