It is yet-another-rainy day here in Sunnyvale. Not even remotely my definition of good weather. And especially not so when we have had plenty of them rainy days since December. I acknowledge the power of the clouds and the wind that can so efficiently transform a bright, sunny day into a gloomy, rainy day.

Leaving behind my perspective of rainy weather, I begin to wonder where the rhyme "Rain, rain, go away" originated.

Rain rain go away,
Come again another day,
Little Johnny wants to play,
Rain, rain, go to Spain,
Never show your face again!


According to this link that I chanced upon in my search for an answer, the rhyme originated way back in the late 1500s. And the rivalry between England & Spain during that period, explains why the rhyme implores the rain to go to Spain. Talking of rain & Spain draws back from my memory, the famous dialogue from 'My Fair Lady' - "The rain in Spain, stays mainly in the plains".

While on the train of thoughts revolving around verses on rain that one has known since childhood. Having dwelt upon sweet childhood verses, how could I ever complain about the rains that brought me to them today!

0 comments: