The Saptapathi rites involves taking seven steps walking around the fire. According to Hindu Law codes [Yalgnavakya Smrithi], completion of the seventh step is the moment of completion of marriage for all legal purposes. For each step they say a manthra as follows:

Step 1. Groom: "My beloved, our love became firm by walking one step with me. You will offer me the food and be helpful in every way. I will cherish you and provide for the welfare and happiness of you and our children.

Step 1. Bride: "This is my humble submission to you, my lord . You kindly gave me responsibility of the home, food and taking charge of the finance. I promise you that I shall discharge all responsibilities for the welfare of the family and children.

Step 2. Groom : My beloved, you have now walked the second step with me. Fill my heart with strength and courage and together we shall protect the household and children.

Step 2. Bride: My lord, in your grief, I shall fill your heart with strength, In your happiness, I shall rejoice. I promise you that I will please you always with sweet words and take care of the family and children and you shall love me alone as your wife.

Step 3. Groom: My beloved, now you have walked three steps with me. By virtue of this, our wealth and prosperity are bound to grow. I shall look upon all other women as my sisters. Together, we will educate our children and may they live long.

Step 3. Bride: My lord, I will love you with single minded devotion as my husband. I will treat all other men as my brothers. My devotion to you is of a chaste wife and you are my joy. This is my commitment and pledge to you.

Step 4. Groom: My beloved, it is a great blessing that you have walked four steps with me. You have brought auspeciousness and sacredness into my life. May we be blessed with obedient and noble children. May they be blessed with long life.

Step 4. Bride: My lord, I will decorate you from your feet up with flowers, garlands and anoint you with sandal wood paste and fragrance. I will serve you and please you in every way.

Step 5. Groom: My beloved, now that you have walked the five steps with me, you have enriched my life. May God bless you. May our loved ones live long and share in our prosperity.

Step 5. Bride: My lord, I share both in your joys and sorrows. Your love will make me trust and honor you. I will carry out your wishes.

Step 6. Groom: My beloved, you have filled my heart with happiness by walking six steps with me. May you fill my heart with great joy and peace from time to time.

Step 6. Bride: My lord, in all acts of righteousness, in material prosperity and in every form of enjoyment and divine acts, I promise you that I shall participate and shall always be with you.

Step 7. Groom: My beloved, as you walked the seven steps with me, our Love and friendship became eternal. We experienced spiritual union in God. Now you have become completely mine and I offer my life to you. Our marriage will be for ever.

Step 7. Bride: My lord, as per the law of God and the Holy scriptures [Vedas] I have become your spouse. Whatever promises we gave, we have spoken with pure mind. We will be truthful to each other in all things. We will love each other for ever.

After these seven steps, the marriage become legal by Hindu law codes. Then, they both say: "Now let us make a vow together. We shall share the same food, share the strengths, the same tastes. We shall be of one mind, we shall observe the vows together; I shall be the Sama, you the Rigveda; I shall be upper world, you the earth; I shall be the Sukhilam. you the Holder; Together we shall live and beget children, and other riches. Come thou, Oh, sweet-worded girl."

Sapthapathi Mantras - shorter version

The following are the Manthras for the seven steps around the Holy Fire during the Sapthapathi commonly used in South India in the Smãrtha Sampradhãya, which is a shorter version of that in the Yajñyavãkkya Smrithis.

Step 1.:- Ekamishe - Vishnuthva - Anvethu -
Step 2.:- Dhve Oorjve - Vishnuthva - Anvethu -
Step 3.:- Threeni Vruthaya - Vishnuthva - Anvethu -
Step 4.:- Chathvaari Maayo - Vishnuthva - Anvethu -
Step 5.:- Pancha Pasubhyaha - Vishnuthva - Anvethu -
Step 6.:- Shadru Thubhyaha - Vishnuthva - Anvethu -
Step 7.:- Sapth Sapthabhyaha - Vishnuthva - Anvethu -


"Sakaa -Sapthapadha -bhava Sakaayov -Saptha padhaa –Bhaboova"
By these seven steps you have taken with me, you have become my best friend.

"Sakyam -the' -Ghame'yam Sakyaath -the' Maayosham -Sakyan me"
I will never move out of this relationship. God has united us in this bondage.

"Maayosta -Samayaava -Samayaava Sangalpaavahai –Sampriyov"
We shall perform all activities together with love and affection.

"Rosishnu -Sumanasyamanov Ishamoorjam - abhi –Savasaanov"
Let us be friendly in our thoughts. Let us observe our duties and rituals together.

"Managhumsi -Samvrathaas smu Chiththaani -Aakaram –Sathvamasi"
If you are the lyrics, I am the music. If you are the music, I am the lyrics.

"Amooham -Amoohamasmi saa -Thvam –dhyowraham"
If I am the heavenly body, you are the earthly world.

"Pruthivee thvam -Retho' aham -retho' Bhruthvam –Manohamasmi"
While I am the life source, you are the carrier of the same.

"vak thvam -Saamaa ham asmi -Rukthvam –Saamaam"
I am the thoughts and you are the speech.

"Anuvradhaa -bhava Pumse' Pumse' -Puthraaya- Veththavai"
While you are the words, I am the meaning.

"Sriyai -Puthraaya -Veththavai ehi -Soonrurute"
With your sweet words, come with me to lead a prosperous life begetting our progeny with [male] children.

Maangalyam Shloka

mAngalyam tantunAnena mama jIvanA hethunA |
kaNThe: badhnami subhage! sanjIva Sarada: Satam ||


Meaning: This is a sacred thread, this is essential for my long life. I tie this around your neck
O maiden, having many auspicious attributes, may you live happily for a hundred years

0 comments: